(434) 292-5536 (fax)
115 S. Main Street
P. O. Box 219
Blackstone, VA 23824
(434) 696-2537 (fax)
1805 Main Street
P. O. Box 931
Victoria, VA 23974
Practice Areas and Professional Strengths
Attorney Robert E. Hawthorne, Jr. is pleased to assist you with the following types of legal matters:
- Real estate transactions, including residential closings and commercial closings;
- Real estate litigation, including boundary-line disputes, easement disputes, foreclosures, partition suits, suits for specific performance, and unlawful detainers;
- Conservation easements (also known as open-space easements), including handling the conveyance of the easement to the Virginia Outdoors Foundation or to other qualified entities and working with your accountant and tax-credit broker to claim your federal tax deductions and Virginia tax credits;
- Estate planning, including drafting wills, powers of attorney, advance medical directives, and trusts;
- Elder law, including filing for guardianships and conservatorships and obtaining government benefits during the final years of one’s life;
- Estate administration and probate, including preparing inventories and accountings for filing with the appropriate Commissioner of Accounts;
- Municipal law, including serving as general counsel or special counsel for local towns; and
- Banking law, including serving as general counsel or special counsel for local community banks.
Mr. Hawthorne offers years of experience in fiduciary accounting for trusts and estates and has served as the Commissioner of Accounts of Lunenburg County since 2000 and the Commissioner of Accounts of Nottoway County since 2022. Additionally, his formal education has included basic courses in double-entry accounting under GAAP (generally accepted accounting principles).
Mr. Hawthorne is one of the founders of Hawthorne & Hawthorne, P.C. He obtained his undergraduate degree from the University of Virginia in 1990 and graduated from the University of Virginia School of Law in 1993. Mr. Hawthorne was licensed as a lawyer by the Virginia State Bar shortly thereafter. He has based his legal practice in Southside Virginia since that time.
Mr. Hawthorne currently serves as an area representative of the Real Estate Section of the Virginia State Bar. He formerly served as the President of the Tenth Judicial Circuit Bar Council and as the Chairman of the Lunenburg County Bar Association.
Community Involvement and Personal Interests
In addition to practicing law, Mr. Hawthorne operates a family farm with fields in both Brunswick County and Lunenburg County. He primarily raises tobacco but raises blueberries as well.
Mr. Hawthorne is a former president of the Rotary Club of Lunenburg County. He is a board member for Kenston Forest School in Blackstone, Virginia. Mr. Hawthorne has coached both recreational basketball and softball. He resides in Lunenburg, Virginia.
Mr. Hawthorne speaks both English and Spanish.